Skip to main content

Green Peas Masala


This is my mom's recipe. I have grown up eating it. She said, she had created it keeping in mind the flavor of green peas masala served
along with porotta in restaurants. May be that was long back coz I remember eating it from my childhood.
My mom used to serve this as sidedish for chapati and poori but after marriage I learned that it could be paired with puttu and pathiri as well. 
I was in a hurry and carelessly stacked the poori's, by the time I was ready to click all my poori's had deflated.

Ingredients 
  • Green peas (dried ones)  -  1/2 cup
  • Onion  -  1 small
  • Tomato  -  1 small
  • Coriander powder  -  1 1/2 tsp
  • Red chilly powder  -  3/4 tsp
  • Turmeric powder  - 1/4 tsp
  • Salt  -  to taste
To grind
  • Coconut  -  1 cup (loosely packed ) 
  • Turmeric powder  -  a pinch 
  • Sauf  -  1/2 tsp
  • Garlic  -  2 pods
To temper
  • Mustard  -  1/2 tsp
  • Oil  -  2 tsp 

Garnish 
  • Curry leaves  - 1 spring
  • Coriander leaves  - 1 tbsp 
Method
  • Soak green peas overnight. 
  • In a pressure cooker add green peas along with roughly chopped onion, tomato, masala powders and salt. Cook for 2 to 4 whistles depending on the green peas used. Remove from heat.
  • Crush Sauf and garlic and keep it aside.
  • Grind together coconut and Turmeric to a fine paste.
  • Open the cooker add coconut paste and the crushed sauf and garlic. Keep it back on flame. Check for salt and continue cooking till the curry thickens. 
  • Add curry leaves and coriander, cook for 1 more minute and switch off the flame.
  • Heat oil, add mustard, let it splutter. Add to the curry. Serve hot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paal Payasam

This paal payasam is very easy to make and tastes divine just like those you get in wedding sadhyas. As the festival of Onam is fast approaching am posting this as one of my Onam recipes. How many of you are fans of those rose coloured paalada pradhaman

Pineapple Souffle

Uff.....the summer is on ,its hot hot super hot.... The temperature is increasing year by year... I cant imagine that once we played outdoor games during our summer vacations. At that time the temperature was not this high,the heat was tolerable and the summer breeze were soothing.It was the most awaited time of the year. Now a days its really burning outside,sun burns and heat strokes which we barely heard in those days has become too common

Pineapple Sago Payasam

Its the month of Onam...The celebration of 10 days starts today.. The word Onam itself brings a nostalgic feeling to everyone. I had my best onam days at my Father's tharavadu. All those memories are related to my Father's brother. He was the one to lead all the preperations from flower carpet to feast. And I was his helper all those days as I was the first and eldest child in the family