Skip to main content

Hot Milk Sponge Cake

This is the cake with which I started my baking. The recipe is simple and always gave good results which gave me confidence to move on to more complex cake recipes. The recipe din call for any costly ingredients,
so when I tried it for the first time, I was relaxed that if ever it fails I wont have wasted much .
Another advantage of this recipe is that you wont have to worry about the large amount of fat consumed. It uses only a small quantity of butter so its kinda healthy. Try with wheat flour to make it completely healthy ( well the texture wont be as soft as the original).

Ingredients

  • Maida  -  1 cup
  • Eggs  -  2 nos
  • Sugar  -  1 cup (powdered)
  • Butter  -  1 tablespoon
  • Milk  -  1/2 cup
  • Vanilla essence  -  1 tsp
  • Baking powder  -  1 tsp (level)
  • Salt  -  A fat pinch
Method

  • Sift together maida salt and baking powder, keep aside.
  • Grease and dust a baking tin and keep ready. Preheat oven to 200 degree C.
  • Beat the eggs nicely, gradually add sugar in batches and beat till well combined. Mix in vanilla.
  • Boil milk and butter. Remove from flame when the butter melts completely.
  • Now fold in the dry ingredients into the egg mixture in three batches alternating with milk mixture.
  • Pour into prepared baking tin, tap the tin a few times to remove any large air bubbles.
  • Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or till a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  • Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Notes

  • Always use boiled milk, so tat boiling twice makes the water content low. Make sure no water goes into the batter, it may prolong the cooking time and make the cake texture hard.
  • Set oven temperature accordingly. It was 200 for my old oven but my new one did the work at 170 degree.
  •  I have sandwiched and frosted the cake in the photo with whipped cream and topped with jam sauce ( its something i rarely do for this cake. It tastes good both ways).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paal Payasam

This paal payasam is very easy to make and tastes divine just like those you get in wedding sadhyas. As the festival of Onam is fast approaching am posting this as one of my Onam recipes. How many of you are fans of those rose coloured paalada pradhaman

Pineapple Souffle

Uff.....the summer is on ,its hot hot super hot.... The temperature is increasing year by year... I cant imagine that once we played outdoor games during our summer vacations. At that time the temperature was not this high,the heat was tolerable and the summer breeze were soothing.It was the most awaited time of the year. Now a days its really burning outside,sun burns and heat strokes which we barely heard in those days has become too common

Pineapple Sago Payasam

Its the month of Onam...The celebration of 10 days starts today.. The word Onam itself brings a nostalgic feeling to everyone. I had my best onam days at my Father's tharavadu. All those memories are related to my Father's brother. He was the one to lead all the preperations from flower carpet to feast. And I was his helper all those days as I was the first and eldest child in the family