Skip to main content

Carrot Halwa


A very happy Diwali to all...
Thinking of a Diwali post I was really confused, there was a lot to choose from. Finally I decided on this one. Its a popular dessert throughout India and i think there isn't a food blog without this recipe. Its my favorite too.
Most of the blogs have something of their own to contribute to the original recipe. I have seen an interesting twist of adding orange to it in a few, think must give it a try sometime. Well let me join the group by sharing " my recipe" for carrot halwa.

Ingredients

  • Carrot  -  300 gm
  • Milk  -  500 ml
  • Milk Powder  -  1 tbsp
  • Ghee  -  1/4 cup
  • Sugar  -  according to taste
  • Cardamom  - 2 pods
  • Nuts of your choice  -  to garnish
Method
  • Grate the carrots. In a heavy bottom pan mix grated carrots and milk. Wash the cardamom pods  nicely and peel them, add the skin to the above mixture. Powder the seeds and keep aside.
  • Dissolve milk powder in lukewarm water and add to the carrot milk mixture. Now keep this on medium flame and cook till carrots are done.
  • Now start adding the ghee 1 tbsp at a time.
  • When the milk has almost dried up (ie while string we can see a little milk at the bottom) add in the sugar. Cook till all the moisture dries up and ghee starts oozing out. Remove from flame, add cardamom powder and nuts.
Notes
  • I usually take milk just enough to immerse the carrots. I  take 500 ml of milk and rest i adjust in the quantity of water used to dissolve milk powder. I usually prepare this in a wide mouthed vessel, it uses 1/2 cup water plus 1/2 L of milk. If milk alone is enough, dissolve milk powder in milk itself.
  • Adding milk powder enhances the taste. Its purely optional.
  • Adding cardamom skin while cooking gives a nice soothing flavor while the seeds give intense flavor, sometimes I add more cardamom skins and omit seeds.
  • Adding condense milk at the final stage of cooking also improves the taste.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paal Payasam

This paal payasam is very easy to make and tastes divine just like those you get in wedding sadhyas. As the festival of Onam is fast approaching am posting this as one of my Onam recipes. How many of you are fans of those rose coloured paalada pradhaman

Pineapple Souffle

Uff.....the summer is on ,its hot hot super hot.... The temperature is increasing year by year... I cant imagine that once we played outdoor games during our summer vacations. At that time the temperature was not this high,the heat was tolerable and the summer breeze were soothing.It was the most awaited time of the year. Now a days its really burning outside,sun burns and heat strokes which we barely heard in those days has become too common

Pineapple Sago Payasam

Its the month of Onam...The celebration of 10 days starts today.. The word Onam itself brings a nostalgic feeling to everyone. I had my best onam days at my Father's tharavadu. All those memories are related to my Father's brother. He was the one to lead all the preperations from flower carpet to feast. And I was his helper all those days as I was the first and eldest child in the family