Skip to main content

Whole Wheat Bread

To bake bread at home was like a dream come true for me.I always wanted to, don't know why, but I was not at all confident about baking breads.
The recipes I have, had the bread baked in a water-bath, which seemed complicated to me.
This time I had to overcome my fears for  the sake of my little one. He likes bread n jam, but I mostly avoid it thinking of the added preservatives. Once while searching for another recipe I stumbled upon this bread recipe on Sharmis passion. It was a simple one so decided to give it a try. And I am very happy with the result.
 For the first time my little bread lover got a whole slice of bread to eat.


Ingredients

  • Atta  -  2 1/2 cup
  • Instant Yeast  -  1 1/4 tsp
  • Oil  -  4 tbsp
  • Sugar  - 3 tbsp
  • Salt  -  1 tsp
  • Water -  1/2 cup ( lukewarm) + 1/2 cup
Method

  • Dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup lukewarm water, add yeast and set aside for 10 minutes.
  • If the yeast is good the solution will become frothy by this time.
  • In a bowl mix together salt and atta, add yeast mixture and oil to this. Add remaining water little by little and knead to make a soft dough. The quantity of water may vary so use accordingly.
  • Knead for another 10 to 15 minutes. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and set aside for 1 to 2 hrs or till the dough have doubled in size.
  • Punch down and knead for 5 minutes. Roll the dough into log shape.
  • Place the dough into a well greased bread tin or loaf pan. Let it rest for 45 minutes.
  • If u don't want crust, cover with a wet cloth.
  • Once the dough have risen well bush the top with some milk and bake in 180 degree preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
  • Cool in tin for 15 minutes and then remove from tin, cool completely on wire rack.
Notes
  • Can reduce the quantity of sugar and oil.
  • To check whether the bread is done, tap on the top it should sound hollow.
  • Do not cut the bread when it is hot.
  • After removing from tin can brush the top with butter or ghee for better taste.
  • Wheat breads have a dense texture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paal Payasam

This paal payasam is very easy to make and tastes divine just like those you get in wedding sadhyas. As the festival of Onam is fast approaching am posting this as one of my Onam recipes. How many of you are fans of those rose coloured paalada pradhaman

Pineapple Souffle

Uff.....the summer is on ,its hot hot super hot.... The temperature is increasing year by year... I cant imagine that once we played outdoor games during our summer vacations. At that time the temperature was not this high,the heat was tolerable and the summer breeze were soothing.It was the most awaited time of the year. Now a days its really burning outside,sun burns and heat strokes which we barely heard in those days has become too common

Pineapple Sago Payasam

Its the month of Onam...The celebration of 10 days starts today.. The word Onam itself brings a nostalgic feeling to everyone. I had my best onam days at my Father's tharavadu. All those memories are related to my Father's brother. He was the one to lead all the preperations from flower carpet to feast. And I was his helper all those days as I was the first and eldest child in the family